Saturday, June 25, 2011

Do I really want to change the world?

Everybody wants to change the world, right? Or maybe we're all supposed to want to change the world, to make it a better place, or something like that. Well, I'm not sure I really want to change the world. After all, we all have our own opinions, so if we are each trying to change the world to suit our own views of what the world should be like, that suggests a lot of conflict. Sure, maybe some of us are "right" and know how the world really should be, but which of us is that? How can we know? So, my conclusion is that although it is a noble goal to want to make the world a better place, we need to tread carefully as far as thinking that we can actually change the world to be something close to what we think it should be and to expect that the result really will be a better world for everyone. Herewith, I am formally and publically declaiming any intentions or desires to change the world. That is not to say that I won't change the world or that I will give up pursuit of living a better life, but simply that change should be a side effect of living a good life rather than a goal of its own.
 
In short, I definitely do desire and intend to live a better life, but whether that results in the world becoming a better place is besides the point.
 
One caveat: In principle, I actually do believe that all change is good, but that is not to say that all meaningful change needs somehow to be intentional and carefully planned and orchestrated in advance.
 
Doing a little Web searching I ran across a blog post on the PickTheBrain blog entitled "So You Want To Change The World?" that makes these points:
  • Be Mindful of Your Intentions - Are you doing this for selfish or selfless reasons?
  • Be Aware of Your Own Energy - Know yourself
  • Know How Other's Energy Affects You
  • Humble Yourself - keep your ego out if it
  • Dream
Intentions indeed. Part of my writing this post is that I am quite skeptical of people who have quite specific ideas for what change should look like. To me, that would kill a large portion of the vibrancy and health of the world and make the resulting world less sustainable.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home