Sunday, December 03, 2006

An Internet vacation? Part 2

Now that I've made my New Year's Eve hotel reservation for my two-week trip to New York City at the end of the year, I am back to thinking about how to turn this into an Internet Vacation. I'm fairly confident I can manage to dramatically reduce my overall Web usage. I intend to read The New York Times  every day and even watch a little television to get my daily news fix. As far as email, I think that everybody is amenable to the fact that failure to reply to email "during the holidays" is acceptable and expected social behavior.

One potential need for accessing the net during my stay is that I am considering not booking most of my hotel days in advance and then book them via Priceline literally a day or two in advance to get even better deals. Usually I am fairly picky about where I stay, but I'll have so many days in New York and most of them will be fairly decent, so I can afford to take a chance that a few of the hotel nights might be less desirable than my normal standards. OTOH, this strategy requires that I access the net a bunch of times during my stay, detracting from my enjoyment of the stay. On the other other hand, pre-planning all nights eliminates flexibility. For example, I would like to take a side trip to Atlantic City, but either I have to decide soon which days to go, or have to play with the net to make last minute arrangements.

Ah, for the good old days, when I could simply walk into any hotel and simply ask if they had a room and charge it to my credit card. Alas, such carefree spending is no longer within my relatively frugal budget.

The big question remains whether I can eliminate 100% of the need for lugging my notebook computer around with me.

The other big question is whether I can really go a full two weeks without doing any blogging. That would be really roughing it.

-- Jack Krupansky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home