Saturday, December 16, 2006

Less darkness in downtown Bellevue

It turned out that not all of downtown Bellevue still had power this morning. Bellevue Galleria had power, but the west side of 106th Street and the Westin and Lincoln Square and Bellevue Square and other areas did not.

I went by Bellevue Galleria around 10:30 p.m. this evening and the movies and restaurants were all open. Barnes and Noble was open.

I crossed the street, but it was dark on the west side and there were no street lights or traffic lights on.

I walked over to the Westin and saw that their lobby was lit up, but they only had emergency power. The Westin is significant because that is where our group holiday party is supposed to be held Saturday night. The Westin people at the desk seemed semi-cheery, but still somewhat depressed.

I turned around and walked back uphill to 108th Street to go see if the Seastar restaurant was open (it was) and noticed that the lights were back on for the downtown Bellevue transit center. I looked back at the Westin and Bellevue Square and the lights were now on.

I walked back to the Westin and the lobby was fully lit and the staff was in a very good mood. They insisted that our holiday party would happen on Saturday evening. In fact, by 11:00 p.m. there was an email confirming that the party "is a GO."

There were still some traffic lights off on 8th Avenue near Lincoln Square and darkness westward on 10th Avenue, but progress was being made.

Earlier I went to Whole Foods to get something for dinner and it was quite a zoo. The parking lot was full of cars waiting for parking spaces to open up. The display cases that are usually stuffed with rolls and bagels and pastries were completely empty. And there was very little bread either. There was a long line for hot prepared foods. It reminded me of a soup line for refugees. In fact, a lot of these people probably had no power to cook.

Oops. I just noticed my lights flicker a couple of times. Time to hit send.

I usually see a movie early Saturday afternoon. I prefer to see movies at Lincoln Square since it is a little more modern and larger, so I'll have to wait and see if they really do open. I think they will, but Bellevue Galleria will surely be open as a backup.

I was going to get a haircut at Bellevue Square before my trip to New York City on Wednesday. In fact, I almost went this afternoon, but it was good that I didn't waste the time since it turned out the entire mall was closed due to the power. I may punt and just get my hair cut in New York where I used to go when I lived there. It may cost only two or three dollars more. If it is convenient on Saturday, I'll do it, otherwise I'll fit it into my open New York schedule.

-- Jack Krupansky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home