Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Tree

I spent the day wandering all around lower Manhattan. That's what I typically do for a Saturday in New York, but I have been away from New York so long (since July 2005) and it may rain on Friday, I went ahead and did my walk anyway. Now, my feet are really tired since I haven't been doing these all-day walks recently. I'll give them a few more minutes of rest (I'm lucky that they always recover so quickly after such intensive use) and then I'll be off to the other really, really, really big priority for the day: The Tree. Or more specifically, going to see the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Plaza. It is always very awesome.

Coming from Seattle, I just have to say that I am glad that New York City doesn't have a local Rabbi threatening to sue somebody for not putting up a giant Menorah next to the Christmas Tree. In America, a Christmas Tree is a cultural symbol which does not have purely religious connotations.

I would have gone to see The Tree when I got into the city last night, but I vaguely recall that they turn it off at midnight (like the Empire State Building). I think that is plain silly and counter to the spirit of New York. If I were mayor... I'd demand that both the Empire State Building and The Tree be fully lit all night long.

-- Jack Krupansky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home