Tuesday, February 20, 2007

What holiday?

I got to the bus stop on time this morning, but not only was there no bus, but there were no people waiting for the bus either. Very strange. I saw several regional express buses to and from downtown Seattle come and go, but no local 253 to Redmond. I wondered if my old Sony Clie PDA (Palm OS) had lost its time synchronization again, so I checked the monitor at the bus terminal and it was exactly time for the bus to be there. I checked the schedule to see if it had changed, but there was no change. Sometimes the bus is late due to mechanical problems, but then there are usually even more people waiting. Still nobody waiting at all. I wracked by brain trying to figure out what might be going on. My brain isn't fully functional at 6:00 a.m., but after a minute it finally dawned on me: it's a holiday. President's Day. It isn't a company holiday here at The Evil Empire, but it is a holiday for most people. In fact, this is the first time in my life that I've worked somewhere where President's day wasn't a three-day weekend. We get two floating holidays instead, so you can take it as a holiday if you want, but it just doesn't feel the same.

So, I caught up with some email (including work), and now it's time to go catch the "holiday" 7:20 a.m. 230 bus to Redmond. The 253 doesn't leave until 8:50 a.m. on "holidays." Sigh.

-- Jack Krupansky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home