Sunday, March 25, 2007

Finally backed up my PC

It has been almost a year since I last made a full backup of my data from my Toshiba notebook PC, but I finally got around to doing it today. I have no good excuse for not doing it sooner and more regularly, but I do have lots of weak excuses.

Previously, I simply used a .BAT command file which copied all of my data files across the network to a desktop PC where I was doing some consulting work a year ago and then I burned the files to DVD.

Now, I updated the .BAT file to reflect some minor changes to where my data was stored and to copy to a folder named C:\BackupTemp on my hard drive. I then manually copied that folder (2.71GB) to C:\Backups\BackupToshiba2007MMDD where MMDD is the month and day of month. This will let me keep multiple backups right on the hard drive. Then I used the Sonic RecordNow! utility which came with my Toshiba to burn the DVD using the Toshiba's built-in DVD-RAM drive. It only took about 15 minutes to burn the DVD.

-- Jack Krupansky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home