Sunday, August 05, 2007

The Bourne Ultimatim

I found The Bourne Ultimatum thoroughly entertaining. I'm not nominally a Matt Damon fan, but this role does work very well for him. There were actually an interesting number of great one-liners, great cat and mouse chases and evasions, not to mention the general theme of of the CIA being somewhat less than competent.

I do have to admit that I am biased in favor of any movie which is at least partially set in New York City.

I am doubly biased in favor of any movie that has even a single shot of my old apartment building.

I am triply biased in favor of any movie that actually has a scene shot near my old apartment building.

So, how could I not love a movie in which a cell phone text message with the exact location of my old apartment building is displayed up on the silver screen, much bigger than real life. Excellent.

OTOH, I don't expect that many people will get so excited about my old apartment building. It wasn't such a great building anyway, but it did allow me to live in Manhattan relatively cheaply with a convenient and safe location. And as a side effect, a number of major movies have been filmed (at least in part) in the neighborhood.

But even if my old neighborhood hadn't been in the movie and even if the movie had not been partially set in Manhattan, it still would have been worth seeing, assuming that you are into spy thriller movies that have a significant psychological "mind bending" component. The "action" is simply the icing and not the cake itself. OTOH, some fans of action would see it the other way around. Either way, it works.

-- Jack Krupansky

1 Comments:

At 5:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

great movie....saw it last night.... i guess 41571 is your old address. that sort of thing doesnt happen to us canadians....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home