Thursday, December 21, 2006

Construction in New York City

After being gone for almost a year and a half, the change in New York City that I noticed can be best summarized in one word: construction. I am amazed at how many new buildings I see, as well as how many old buildings I no longer see and sites that are in the early stages of construction or site preparation. It feels like the numbers are significantly greater than during my last two years living in the city.

There are still plenty of older buildings in New York that are not in very good shape, so there is still a huge amount of potential for both renovation and rebuilding.

I even saw a new "sliver" building going up. They are the width of a narrow town house, but 15 or more stories tall. They were popular back in the 1970's and 1980's or so, but I had never seen a new one going up. Maybe that says something about how frenzied construction is getting in the city.

I saw the facade of an old stone church that was being preserved, but the entire rest of the church was already torn down and the site was being prepared for a new building that would integrate the old church facade.

-- Jack Krupansky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home