Thursday, July 05, 2007

Working on the 4th of July

Who in their right mind wants to work on the 4th of July? Well, today I was one of those crazy people.

Why?

For two reasons: Being on a Wednesday means that the 4th holiday doesn't stretch cleanly into a three or four-day weekend, it's not clear which weekend to stretch it to anyway, and stretching to both weekends is out of the question for most of us unless you really planned this to be a week of vacation. Second, I had a fair amount of work that I really wanted to finish by Friday, so a quiet day at work was ideal.

The good news is that now I'm a day ahead of where I would have been in my work and I have another "floating holiday" day I can take later in the summer or to make Labor Day weekend a day longer.

It will be nice that Thursday and Friday will be less stressful since I'm so far ahead. In fact, I figure that I'm more than a day ahead since I get so much more work done when the office is so quiet and free from distractions.

There were a few other people in my general office area, but not very many.

The biggest downside of working on a holiday is that the cafeteria is not open, but that was also an excuse to go out for a long walk to the nearest supermarket.

-- Jack Krupansky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home